Thursday, September 22, 2011

Are you Learning Mandarin? Be Inspired by Chris's story

Follow Chris through his extended stay in China.  What is it like to go there, learn the language, get to the know the culture and the people?  You might be inspired in your Chinese language learning to read his tips on how to learn Chinese.  Here is an excerpt from "Ready to Return":

Mind your tones

"The hardest thing when speaking Mandarin are the tones. Even though I thought I remembered how to say a word, and could even visualise it in its written form, when speaking it aloud my tones would often be incorrect. This would incur laughs from native speakers which really dented my confidence. I still have problems with tones today, but I find that extensive listening can help greatly with this."

1 comment:

  1. Hi,

    Learning Mandarin Chinese is one of the most difficult languages in the world. There are somewhere between six and twelve regional dialects of Chinese, including Mandarin, Cantonese, and Min. These different dialects are mostly unique, although there are some common terms and structure between some of them. Thanks a lot...

    Study Abroad In China

    ReplyDelete